Rosie G. - South House

Topic: Child Psychology

EQ: What is the best way to counsel middle school students

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Independent Component 1

Literal
  I completed my independent component byworking with kids in a program called Think Together. What I mainly did was to help the children with any of their needs. Such as helping them with their homework, making sure they are respecting others, and to make them feel welcomed. This helps me because it's helping me understand the different personaities.

Interpretive
I go every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. From 2:00pm -7:00pm making it 15 hours a week. The valunteers and I help the students/children with  their needs and most important show them support.

Applied
One day at service learning one of their activities was to write in their journal about what they want to do when they grow up. Some of the childrens essays were so well written but their was this one child that had me worried. He wrote about how he wanted to kill/make people suffer when he grows up. I had to report this to the mannager and to his parents. We eventually had a meeting with the child, his parents, the mannager and I. The father then asked why did he write this. The kid replied it was because he need to get revenge.
This made me see that not all children are going to have the same personalities and that I need to be prepared for what comes. At first i thought it was becaouse the parents were neglecting him or were maybe abusing him. This child was actually adopted and his privious parents neglected him.

1 comment: